Policy Tools & Resources
Policy Tools & Resources
One of the most important parts of advocacy is enacting policy. To do so, there are many methods of outreach that one may use to reach policymakers, such as United States Senators and Representatives. These tools and resources help to ensure that anybody who has the will to contact policymakers are able to reach them.
Communication with your Congressional Representation can bring about great change and progress. These are a few of the many ways to learn how to get in touch with and communicate with members of Congress:
- Beyond Genetics Day on the Hill: How You Can Impact Policymaking Webinar - Access materials from this previously presented, educational webinar from the Genetic Alliance Resource Repository. Presenters Loranne Ausley, former Florida State Congresswoman, and Melissa Perez, from Mother on a Mission, share effective tactics for achieving policy change at any level.
- Educating Members of Congress Webinar - Access materials from this previously presented, educational webinar from the Genetic Alliance Resource Repository. Learn from Karen Hendricks, Director of Policy Development at the Trust for America's Health, who teaches Genetics Day on the Hill participants and other interested individuals the basics of meeting with Congressional offices. She provides an overview of Congress, discusses the legislative process, and shares strategies for success in communicating with policymakers and making an impact in the policymaking process.
- Genetic Alliance Weekly Policy Bulletin - This resource links to the Genetic Alliance Weekly Policy Bulletin, which exposes the recent happenings in the health policy world on Capitol Hill and beyond.
- Guide to Policy Acronyms and Abbreviations - One of the aspects that makes Washington, DC so intimidating is the seemingly endless list of incomprehensible acronyms and abbreviations. In this guide of abbreviations, Genetic Alliance attempts to demystify the political process for you.
- House of Representatives Contact Information - The House of Representatives website offers a search tool for you to find the contact information, biography, and voting statistics of your congressman or congresswoman.
- Senate Contact Information - The Senate website offers a search tool for you to find the contact information, biography, and voting statistics of your senator.
- Learn How to Impact Policy - Genetic Alliance offers easy-to-follow, educational guides for you to learn about the federal government and how to impact policy-making.
- Your Congress, Your Health - Research!America and partners have invited all members of the 111th Congress to complete a questionnaire concerning health care and research, with results displayed here.
- Genetics Day on the Hill Talking Points – For the last five years, members of the Genetic Alliance network have spent a day on Capitol Hill discussing topics of interest to the genetics and health communities. Visit the Resource Repository to view the talking points and topics that were discussed to help you craft your own.
- Public Policy, Advocacy, and Lobbying by Parent Centers Conference Call - Statewide Parent Advocacy Network provides a webinar recording on the dos and don'ts of public policy.
- Grassroots Guide to Public Policy Advocacy - In this guide, Statewide Parent Advocacy Network provides individuals and groups with the information needed to engage in effective public policy advocacy.